Thursday, July 21, 2011

Vincent Kartheiser, another smug, bragging, Minnesotan

More bragging, Minnesota-style.  This time, it's one of the few people to leave the state, that smug little twirp Vinnie Kartheiser of Mad Men fame. *Note:  he's also a smug little twirp on the show.   (These are some snippets from some interview he gave here locally on TV in March).

Because if you’re from Minnesota, you get used to running into people from Minnesota — at least in our industry, you do. All of my friends out here, except a few, are from Minnesota.

There it is.  Even when you Minnesotans leave home, all you do is flock to one another.

"You know, in the music industry, there’s a lot of Minnesotans,” he said.

More bragging.  Why not just say "you know, in Minnesota, existence came to exist.  Along with Music.  And space travel."


You asked me why I love Minnesota and I think we just create doers."

Like the Twins?  Sorry, I couldn't resist.  But seriously, you think I make this shit up?  Well, here it is, in print.  "Minnesotans are a doing bunch."

"We kind of have a community of people who like to get off their asses and go do stuff. I don’t know if that’s only because there’s, like, three months of the year that you can get off your ass and actually do something? It’s like, ‘Oh my gosh, we can leave the house!’”

A little redundant, I know, but I wanted to include the "oh my gosh."  This is the Gopher Gold where stereotypes come from.  Yes, you, the "most-educated folk" in the nation are nothing more than a bunch of yokels.

“Many, many people I know from Minnesota have great careers out here and I’m constantly running into people from Minnesota. So, I wasn’t surprised and I’m never really surprised. I think it might also have something to do with the fact that we breed a lot and we tend to leave Minnesota, too,” he continued.

Wrong.  Some of you tend to leave Minnesota.  But very few of you do.  In fact, the statistics I've seen suggest that 93% of the people who live in Minnesota stay in Minnesota, so, you're not exactly exporting yourselves like toys from China.  It's also worth noting that for the most "educated state" in the union, your wages aren't competitive with other metropolitan areas.  And just because you have so many colleges doesn't mean that the schools are good, or even competitive outside of Minnesota.  Maybe you have too many colleges, thereby cheapening the value of the college degree? 

Food for thought...

3 comments:

  1. I knew I had a brother in arms out there. Been here 28 years but never drank the Kool Aid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're not alone.

    I wrote this article in 2007:

    http://northernmisfit.blogspot.com/2007/02/thin-crust-of-disdain-minneapolis.html

    To date, I have seen no reason to alter it.

    One thing I did notice this year, though; the younger generation (think college age) seems to be a little more friendly than the others I've encountered in my fourteen years here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The most educated state in the union is Connecticut.

    ReplyDelete