Thursday, May 19, 2011

Minnesota Passive Aggressive II: never repeat yourself to the food girl

There's a great place in this area with decent lunches for reasonable prices.  They have hot specials everyday, for a really reasonable price.  On my third day in this establishment, I decided that I didn't want the hot special, but a sub.  So what I did was, I ordered the sub.  When the girl taking my order asked me what I wanted on it, I told her everything. 

Of course, everything was going smoothly until I asked her, "can you gut the bread?"

"We cut the bread."

"I know you cut the bread, I said gut."

"We cut the bread."

"I know you cut the bread, but I said gut.  GUT."

At this point, all of the girls behind the counter - I'm guessing ten of them - stop.  The Lead Order Taker, somewhat politely steps in and asks "what do you want?"

I don't think it's a big deal.  I didn't raise my voice, except to annunciate the "g" in "gut," and I explained what I want.  Being from Chicago, I am used to asking for my bread to be "gutted" at Potbelly's.  If you're unfamiliar with Potbelly's or how I order my sandwich, pay attention at Subway when they're working on the old sandwich board.  What they do is, they cut out the center of your bread so that your choice of toppings is less prone to slide out (and I am guessing so that it seems like they are actually filling your bread, but that's another argument for a blog about fast food - which I won't be writing).

After all is said and done, Lead Order Taker explains it to the girl who doesn't understand my jargon.  I get my sandwich, I'm gone.

----

The very next day and the exact same time, I walk into this little joint.  I am standing there, trying to decide what I want.  I'm looking back behind the counter, and the "Gut-not-Cut Girl" looks right at me, turns, and whispers something in her co-workers ear.  They both laugh and go into the back where they are doing their chickens.

She then comes out and asks every single person in line if she can take their order but me.  This goes on for five minutes, all the while, she refuses to make eye contact with me.

And this is another exercise in Minnesota Nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment